Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by a newly discovered coronavirus.
people infected with the COVID-19 virus will experience mild to
moderate respiratory illness and recover without requiring special
treatment. Older people, and those with underlying medical problems
like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, and
cancer are more likely to develop serious illness.
The best way to prevent and slow down transmission is be well informed about the COVID-19 virus, the disease it causes and how it spreads. Protect yourself and others from infection by washing your hands or using an alcohol based rub frequently and not touching your face.
The COVID-19 virus spreads primarily through droplets of saliva or discharge from the nose when an infected person coughs or sneezes, so it’s important that you also practice respiratory etiquette (for example, by coughing into a flexed elbow).
At this time, there are no specific vaccines or treatments for COVID-19. However, there are many ongoing clinical trials evaluating potential treatments. WHO will continue to provide updated information as soon as clinical findings become available.
To prevent infection and to slow transmission of COVID-19, do the following:
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water, or clean them with alcohol-based hand rub.
- Maintain at least 1 metre distance between you and people coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing.
- Stay home if you feel unwell.
- Refrain from smoking and other activities that weaken the lungs.
- Practice physical distancing by avoiding unnecessary travel and staying away from large groups of people.
COVID-19 Corona Virus India – Useful Links
Infection Updates (India)
- Ministry of Health India – Updates directly from Ministry of Health
- ICMR COVID19 – Updates directly from Indian Center for Medical Research
- COVIDINDIA.ORG – Current Situation, Country’s Preparedness Information
- MyGOV Covid-19 – Learn more about this disease and avoid false information
- COVID19INDIA.ORG – Count aggregated from various sources; claims to have the latest numbers
- Corona Misinformation Watch – Tracks and visualizes debunked coronavirus claims
International Updates & Relevant Links
- WHO Coronavirus Covid-19 Pandemic Info
- CDC Coronavirus Info
- Worldometers – Worldwide Statistics of Covid-19
- Bing COVID-19 Tracker – Best international tracker. Per country local news updates included
- Helpline Number: +91-11-23978046
- Helpline Number Toll free: 1075
- MyGov Whatsapp Number: +91 9013151515
- WHO Whatsapp Number: +41 79 893 18 92
- Helpline Email ID 1: ncov2019 [at] gov [dot] in
- Helpline Email ID 2: ncov2019 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Download complete state wise helpline numbers here
- [25th March 2020] Complete Lockdown for 21 days (till 15th April 2020)
- [24th March 2020] All States and UTs have done lockdown affecting 547 districts. Sikkim and Mizoram yet to take a call.
- [23rd March 2020] Latest Lockdown Updates – mapsofIndia
- [23rd March 2020] Travel and Lockdown Information – covidindia.org
Medical Studies Updates
- Anand Ranganathan’s Twitter Thread – Chronology of updates in the Indian medical research
- HydroxyChloroquine + Azithromycine
- Various Treatments methods – Other countries are using
- Corona Virus’s Main Weapon Identified – Helps create vaccine
- First Vaccine – Involves using ebola medication
- The Confusion on Ibuprofen – Avoid this drug as of now
- COVIDINDIA.ORG RESOURCES – Resources for Individuals and Healthcare Professionals
- Times of India – Google Map of Government approved testing labs across the country
- Nikhil Thard – Independently maintained another map of testing labs
- CORONATHON – If you want to help in anyway
- Social Distancing – Just stay away physically from people. We are social people, we want to do it, but do it from a distance as large you can maintain. Digitally is best.
- Wash Hands Often – Washing with soap is best. If you have to be outside i.e. you are a service person, maintain a hand sanitizer.
- Use Masks, Avoid Spread – Cough into handkerchief or hands or elbow or anywhere but not out in the open. Just make sure you are trapping those nasty droplets into something which you can wash or discard later. Wear Masks
- Listen to Authorities – Let’s stick with what authorities are telling us, we are all in this together. Viruses are not biased towards anyone, they are not self aware, they are not conscious, some scientists argue they are not even living things.
- Maintain Calm – There is tremendous panic, fear mongering, and negativity on social media especially from people whose job is political discourse. Don’t stress and don’t indulge too much into that right now.
Feedback is welcome on our social media channels